Computers simplify complex tasks into calculations that can be performed quickly. Capable of storing large amounts of information for easy access, they have revolutionized the world of work.
- In 1945 ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator) first built in the US.
- In 1948 Manchester Mark I, the first stored-program (RAM) computer is built in the UK. Filling a room the size of a small office, it performs about 500 operations per second.
- In 1958 US engineer Jack Kilby uses semiconductor material to make the first microchip (integrated circuit),using a semi-conductor.
- In 1964 BASIC (Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code), the popular programming language is created by professor at Dartmouth College, US.
- In 1971 Intel 4004, the first microprocessor chip, is produced in the US. It performs 60,000 operations per second.
- In 1977 Mass produced computers appear.
- In 1990 IBM Pentium PC produced. It can perform 112 million instructions per second.